Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Poll

Where do we pick up the Epic Battle?

Continue the Eye of Terror campaign from where it left off.
Skip to something new and revisit the Eye of Terror ending as a flashback later.
Have the characters ejected from the Eye of Terror, move on to something else, and have an EoT part 2 later.
Scrap the EoT. Write an ending for it, and just move on to something else.

Author Topic: Epic Battle: Where should we start?  (Read 17731 times)

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
Epic Battle: Where should we start?
« on: April 22, 2010, 02:06:20 AM »
So here it is. The question I apparently should have asked first before asking who wanted to host. I have a bit of a stigma regarding continuing this campaign, as I blame myself for allowing the old boards to die in the first place. However, with Castellan running Misthaven and us being a little more focused this time through, I feel that I may be able to pull off finishing the Eye. But only if you want me to. I'm not running something that no one wants to play. So the question is, where do we go from here?

A few caveats. First, the only way that I am taking the responsibility of Battle Master for this rebirth is if we finish the EoT. I still have the outline for that, and it would not take extensive writing on my part to get it running. Writing an entirely new storyline takes time that I do not have time to commit and still get the boards up and running. I still have pages of rules and FAQs to type and I'm not doing that and writing a new story at the same time. So if you guys decide we need something new, someone's going to have to come up with it.

Second, do not think that just cause you weren't there at the end doesn't mean I can't write you in. New characters or characters that were not present will be able to be involved.

Third, I am fine with any of these options. Really. Whatever you guys decide is what we will do. The power is yours.  :P

Notice that there is no "I don't care" choice. If you don't care, don't post a reply. This effects the direction of the boards as a whole, and the "I don't care" attitude from the old boards stays at the old boards.

If you have any questions or comments, post them below.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
Re: Epic Battle: Where should we start?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:47:38 AM »
Personally, I would like for the Eye of Terror to finish properly, so that's what I voted for.

However, I have no idea of how much that's asking of you though, since I have no idea of how much further EoT still has to go.  If there's any chance you won't or can't finish, I'd prefer for a quick ending to it and then moving on to something else.

I don't want a break with a part 2 - I think that's generally a bad idea, since the part 2 might never happen.  Also, a flashback seems out-of-place to me - to have a flashback to an adventure we supposedly took part in but never did seems odd to me.  I'd really rather have an active hand in forging that ending.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:50:44 AM by Soul Reaver »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:17:47 AM »
I can finish it. I've looked over my outlines, and if I feel there's too much there, I can easily shorten parts. I've already removed a couple of things I didn't like anyway.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:35:47 AM »
Voted for continuing it from where we left off....any of the other choices would prolly just lead to issues at some point or other
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:35:43 AM »
Continuing would be a good thing.  I think some people are left mid-swing, so there would probalby need to be some sort of transition into the story again.

Also, Kitharsis's intoduction may need to be edited, as it lists things done after the Eye...  I think I'll leave it in, as its going to happen sometime or other.  He has been know to pop in and out to tend to his own business from time to time before, so it wouldn't be anything new.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 09:57:33 AM »
So still sorta 40K based?

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 10:09:08 AM »
Well, it's set in the Eye of Terror, so yeah. You can read back a bit in the archives to get an idea.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 10:16:37 AM »
Will do.. Not sure how I'd slip a character in though.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 10:29:41 AM »
Second, do not think that just cause you weren't there at the end doesn't mean I can't write you in. New characters or characters that were not present will be able to be involved.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 10:42:03 AM »
Can I make a 40Kish character a Psyker or something... Although I like the Black Templar they aren't epic enough to make a stand alone character for them.  Even being The Emperor's Champion wouldn't be enough although really cool.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 10:57:06 AM by Castellan »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 10:48:55 AM »
Yeah, you can pretty much make whatever you want. Might want to talk to me about it first, though. 40k universe in the epic battle doesn't exactly follow GW canon.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 10:57:57 AM »
Expect IM's in the future to discuss possibilities.

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 12:01:06 PM »
I wasnt expecting it, but I would not mind finishing EoT.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 07:17:31 AM »
Forgive me for being absent from the Original EOT campaign but I was looking at the old board and I'm having trouble figuring out which was the first board battle for the EoT.   I see a bunch of EoT camps some of them are logically named though but do you have a list of the battle titles so I can read them in order?   I started with the Gathering the Forces tread I think it was, but even then it seemed like I missed one or two.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 08:05:42 AM by Castellan »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 11:46:40 AM »
Start at page one on the old TFWO archives...

Is that stuff still around?  I can't get to the old site at work  >:(

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 11:56:48 AM »
Forgive me for being absent from the Original EOT campaign but I was looking at the old board and I'm having trouble figuring out which was the first part or the sequence of parts.   I see a bunch of EoT camps some of them are logical though do you have a list ot the battle titles so I can read them in order?   I started with the Gathering the Forces tread I think it was, but even then it seemed like I missed one or two.

Should this come to pass, I'm going to be writing up a recap post. I can't expect everyone who was here to remember the entire thing. But let me assist you for now with a few links.

Gathering The Forces Part 1  This is the first part of the campaign. My prelude post is in there, so it's the best place to start. This part of the story mainly involves herding the cats companions together, and is the shortest part. There was a little bit of set up for this in some previous threads. I'll dig it up later and link to it, but for now, the only thing you're missing by starting here is Cameron's initial request for help and the companion's initial encounter with Abbadon the Despoiler.
Here is Part 2.

The Grey Knights Part 1  Wherein the companions get led through Mars and wind up on Cellaris V, homeworld of the recently formed Grey Knights chapter of Space Marines. They reunite with Cameron and their mission is explained in detail.
Here is Part 2.
Here is Part 3.
Here is Part 4.

Calm Before The Storm Part 1  Wherein the companions handle last minute affairs before leaving to assault the Eye. And then things get a bit weird.
Here is Part 2.

The Battle of Cellaris V Part 1  Wherein Cellaris V falls under Tyranid attack, delaying the companions departure for the Eye and forcing them to fight for their lives against overwhelming numbers.
Here is Part 2.

Journey to Cadia Part 1  Wherein the companions finish off the Tyranid threat and finally prepare to depart for Cadia, the planet closest to the Eye and official staging area for the Space Marines final assault on their ancient enemy. But first, a bunch of other inter-party stuff happens, and then the journey takes way longer then it should, and then some threads apparently got corrupted. -_-
Here is Part 2.
Part 3 is missing. If I somehow manage to locate it's thread, I'll link it here. Suffice to day that after some extensive research, all you're missing is 8 or 9 pages of characters arguing with each other. Perhaps that's why it's missing.  ::)
Here is Part 4.
Here is Part 5.
Here is Part 6. Be aware that there are two threads for Part 6 if you actually look in the archives. The one I'm linking to here is the correct one. The other one is the exact same thread but has half the posts missing. Ignore it.

Entering the Eye Part 1  Wherein the companions finally arrive on Cadia. A way must still be found to get the Space Marine forces through the Eye, and the companions undertake a push against chaos cultists to secure a launch site for the elemental that can get the job done. The terrible pacing of this part of the story causes us to shed half our characters, so things get a little hard to follow.
Here is Part 2.
Here is Part 3.
Here is Part 4.
Here is Part 5.
Here is Part 6.
Here is Part 7.

Battle of the Eidolon Wastelands Part 1  Wherein the companions finally assault the Chaos homeworld at the center of the Eye of Terror, and finally have their second and final confrontation with Abbadon the Despoiler. Unfortunately, the boards were already in a tailspin when this chapter finally started, and the inevitable crash occurred partway through the battle with Abadon, making this the moment where the story cut off and has yet to be finished. The end of the part 2 thread is around about where we would be picking up should the EoT campaign be restarted.
Here is Part 2.

Hope that helps. Should we restart this, I'll probably repost this in it's own thread.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 11:59:22 AM »
Start at page one on the old TFWO archives...

Is that stuff still around?  I can't get to the old site at work  >:(

Kith, pretty sure he was talking about just the EoT campaign, not the entire archive.  :P

And yeah, it's all still there. Been perusing it for most of the day thanks to that post up above.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 12:00:28 PM »
BTW, since the current user count not counting myself or Neito is 14, the magic number for this poll is 8 votes. First response to 8 wins.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 12:03:17 PM »
I was looking at the Yuki boards formerly EZboard that have most of the stuff there. I guess if I'd hop in with a new character I just need a jist of how Clutch changed the 40k universe...   

lol... You stole the Grey Knights for yourself they were part of the second founding but hey, it makes your character and the struggle more epic.

Awesome post Clutch will take a look this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:05:46 PM by Castellan »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 05:37:40 PM »
Yes, I know  :P

But if someone really wanted the whole story thats fairly close to the beginning.  I couldn't imagine reading the whole thing through.