Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: TTBE Art: Work in Progress  (Read 7539 times)

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
TTBE Art: Work in Progress
« on: April 15, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »
Working on some art for Soul's TTBE, and since you guys provided such helpful feedback on my last work, I decided to include you guys while I'm still working on it.  Here's the first couple of steps I've taken toward Kitharsis's battle with Kherek.

Right now I'm just sort of laying in the tattoos to see what they'll look like before I apply their lighting effects (which will be among the last steps I take).  Still need to get a better idea about what the rune on his shoulder actually looks like though, but I'll get around to that later.  I also intend to lighten his skin a bit and add the giant boots of massiveness as well as trinkets and pouches.

As for Kherek, I'm still messing with his concept a lot, but I'm thinking of applying scraps of cloth to show movement, some nasty looking spikes, and maybe some gold ornaments or trinkets to make him pop a little in the dark lighting (the background will be mostly black with a few dungeony-bricky-pillars).

At this point, since it's not a finished product, please feel free to throw in ideas, feedback, or maybe you just noticed somebody's appendage is slightly disproportional... let me have it.  After staring at one project for a couple hours, I can't see things that you guys will, and won't have ideas that you guys might.

Thank you much!

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
Re: TTBE Art: Work in Progress
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 11:43:20 PM »
The main thing I can think of is that Kitharsis' skin is a light grey colour.  I'm also not sure Kitharsis has any ears (in TTBE, since he's based on the troll model, he has HUGE, pointy ears... but I think in the BBs, he has none).

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:03:44 PM »
Whenever I think of that battle, I always think skeletons against scarabs. Perhaps later on you can add that to the background?
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »
The main thing I can think of is that Kitharsis' skin is a light grey colour.  I'm also not sure Kitharsis has any ears (in TTBE, since he's based on the troll model, he has HUGE, pointy ears... but I think in the BBs, he has none).

I also intend to lighten his skin a bit and...

On it!  I just prefer to start with darks and work my way up.  Hm, after looking at Kith's drawing, it looks like he has an ear, but honestly, I was just looking at his avatar image, so it's small enough to where I can't be certain.  As soon as he confirms though, it'll be easily removed.  I'll keep an eye on that.

Whenever I think of that battle, I always think skeletons against scarabs. Perhaps later on you can add that to the background?
Hmmm, maybe.  Skeletons require a lot of anatomy classes to execute correctly, or a lot of time looking at reference.  To draw an army of them would be daunting.  Though having some beetles from Kherek's swarm ability would probably look pretty cool.  It's definitely something to consider though.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:57:48 AM »
Hehe, I find it funny how you keep thinking Kitharsis is missing features, Soul.  Yes, Kith has ears.  He looks like a giant human when it comes to facial features.  When he was in swamp thing mode he was more reptilian.  And to be honest I'm not sure if I included ears for the Jataka or not...

The tattoos look awesome!  This is coming along nicely.  I'll try and get on and pick at it later.  Just wanted to say yes.  Ears. :P

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:33:30 AM »
Hmmm, maybe.  Skeletons require a lot of anatomy classes to execute correctly, or a lot of time looking at reference.  To draw an army of them would be daunting.

What I was thinking of was maybe one or two skeletons being swarmed by the scarabs, like those scarabs you fight before you can enter the boss room (The one with the eggs hatching and stuff. If it's easier however, the swarm ability would look more overwhelming and desperate). While this happens, a skele mage can be seen casting minor haste on Kith, or maybe Shadow Lightning on Kherek.

It's what I'm picturing in my head, so thankfully it's not an army, though referencing all the stuff must be tough work. :O Admire your stuff man :)

Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:01:33 PM »
Hehe, I find it funny how you keep thinking Kitharsis is missing features, Soul.  Yes, Kith has ears.  He looks like a giant human when it comes to facial features.  When he was in swamp thing mode he was more reptilian.  And to be honest I'm not sure if I included ears for the Jataka or not...

The tattoos look awesome!  This is coming along nicely.  I'll try and get on and pick at it later.  Just wanted to say yes.  Ears. :P

Yeah, I think it's because Kitharsis had neither nose nor ears in his old reptilian form, so I assumed he didn't have them now either.

Good thing you're keeping an eye on the thread and correct my crazy-talk. :P

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:34:02 AM »
I can only wait and anticipate both this and the Blender video that are supposed to be made. Your art is spectacular, thus far.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »

FINALLY!  Mid-terms are over, and I found about a 3 hour window where I can work on something non-school involved... and dumb character fictions... lulz.

Anyway, I'm learning a LOT during this process.  More specifically, what not to do.  Switching back and forth between line work and coloring is not the most brilliant of my ideas, and is really hampering my timeliness.  But, overall, I'm pretty happy with how Kitharsis is turning out so far.

@Nemo:  I think I decided to incorporate some of your ideas once I finish the basic coloring and line work for Kith and Kherek. :3  A couple skeletons peering out of the darkness wouldn't be too bad, and neither would some beetles.  We'll see though!

@Kith: Stop me if I'm making any violations to your character so far. XD

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 03:52:26 PM »
You've covered Kith's sensitive bits.  So he doesn't feel violated at all :P

This is looking good man!

I'm finding it very difficult to critique someone doing an awesome piece with my character as the subject  >_<  My eyes are pretty useless on this one...  Color me embarrassed.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 11:26:36 PM »
Looking really good, I'm really keen to see how this is going to turn out.

I'm only not sure about Kith's left leg... something seems slightly off with the perspective on that knee/greaves.  It soft of feels like it should be facing in the same direction as Kith's face, rather than partially toward the viewer.  But then, it's not finished yet - might just be an optical illusion due to the invisible loincloth.

Keep up the awesome work!

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 12:36:49 AM »
After doing some posing on one foot like a jackass in the privacy on my own room, I have deduced that you are correct, Soul.  I KNEW something was wrong with it, I just couldn't pick it out.  Thanks!

EDIT: Wait... no... wait... hm.  I need a mirror I can put on ground level dammit... I'll figure this out!

MORE EDIT: Okay yeah. XD
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:41:55 AM by Jorumn Fargazer »

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 06:13:07 AM »
All I can say is....

*Cue epic music*

MIIIISTER Kitharsis, did you talk to the dead?