Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Board Battle Classic: Revival  (Read 4751 times)

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
Board Battle Classic: Revival
« on: August 06, 2013, 06:06:29 PM »
So it seems it might be time to resurrect the Board Battle Classic - IF there's enough interest, that is.

The Board Battle Classic harkens back to the very earliest days of the Epic Board Battle, back before we had all these new-fangled things like our own forum, or battle hosts, or ongoing plots.

The Board Battle Classic allows you to pit Epic Board Battle characters against other players' Epic Board Battle characters, but it has no influence on the actual Epic Board Battle story - it's just for fun. For all intents and purposes, the stuff there doesn't 'happen'. Characters can even be 'killed' during the Board Battle Classic, in which case they've lost the battle, but that won't stop them from coming back to life again almost immediately afterwards for another duel, or a rematch.  What happens in the Board Battle Classic stays in the Board Battle Classic.

Now, the purpose of this thread is twofold, so I'd appreciate it if anyone responding could reply to the following two questions:

1) How should the Board Battle Classic be run?  There are really two options here:

a) By Battle Host: We have someone acting as a type of referee.  Both players post up their actions/attacks as the other player would see them, but which attacks connect and which ones don't is up to the Battle Host (who posts up the results of the actions for both players).  In any cases where the exact details of an action aren't clear (eg, a spell is cast whose impact isn't clearly visible/obvious to the other player), an email or PM will need to be sent to the Battle Host to provide details of what the spell/attack is supposed to do so that the Host can factor this into his response.

This will be slower-moving, more complex, and will rely heavily on the Battle Host, but will arguably be more 'fair'.  I'd volunteer to be Battle Host if this is the more popular option, though I think it would preclude me from partaking in the game myself.

b) Self-Moderated: A Battle Host will still be present but will only arbitrate if there are complaints or things get out of hand.  God-moding other players still isn't allowed.  Players both post up their actions/attacks as the other player would see them, but also post up the final outcome of their opponents' last set of attacks (in other words, you post if your opponent hits you, and just how hard).  The cardinal rule: don't be lame by just blocking/dodging/countering every attack that comes your way.  Deciding how badly your character gets hit should depend on a number of factors: your character's abilities, your characters' current situation/condition, and just how cool, well written, and/or clever your opponent's attack was.  Sneaky hidden tactics and traps/tricks are still encouraged: if you do something (eg, you gesture in the air, which actually replaces your character with an illusion without your opponent realizing) that your opponent then posts a response to that would reveal or trigger your clever ploy (eg, your opponent attacks the illusion), you just post the outcome of your ingenious scheme (eg, the illusion vanishes and you jump out of hiding, intending to stab your opponent in the back like the dishonourable coward you are).

This makes for faster-moving battles, as there's no waiting around for a third party.  However, it relies on all players to be a good sport, to focus more on fun than on winning, and to remain honest.  Big egos are the bane of self-moderation.

2) Would you be interested in taking part in the Board Battle Classic with one (or more) of your Epic Board Battle characters?

I think I'd need about 4 players to show some interest for this to be worth starting up.  Let me know if you're keen!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:08:28 PM by Soul Reaver »

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
Re: Board Battle Classic: Revival
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 06:24:47 PM »
I stated it in the other thread, but yes, I would very much be interested. And I feel that both options are viable and it could possibly be up to the players partaking in the battle to decide what form of judgment will be undertaken. A 1v1 duel might only need self-judgment, but a large team-battle with players working together and multiple personalities clashing might require a battle-master's touch.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 06:33:13 PM »
The Board Battle Classic has typically been one-on-one, though the idea of a team battle does sound good.

For now we'll treat it as a one-on-one to keep things simple, but that won't prevent a possible team battle later.

Anyway, I'll put you down as:
1) Leaning towards (b) for one-on-one battles
2) Yes

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 06:30:49 PM »
Hm, we've only got one person interested so far.  As amusing it it might be to have one person punching themselves in the face until a KO occurs, I'm not sure that's quite what we had in mind.

I think if there aren't other takers in the next week we'll need to put this idea on the backburner until there's more interest.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 07:29:09 PM »
Looks like there's not enough interest in this yet to start up another Board Battle Classic thread.  Probably too soon since the restart of the Epic BB for there to be much call for it at the moment I guess.

Feel free to PM me if you ever get the hankering for one and I'll open another thread to gauge interest.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 01:40:19 AM »
I'm definitely interested, but a bit bogged down at the moment. Fei has also expressed interest, but getting him to come here and say so has been difficult.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:53:24 AM »
I'm definitely interested, but a bit bogged down at the moment. Fei has also expressed interest, but getting him to come here and say so has been difficult.

Ok, got one more person then.  How would you prefer it be run: by battle host or self-moderated?

I'll reopen the topic and keep it open a bit longer since we've got more than one person interested now. :)