Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: New BB- Continued: Kingdoms of Tianxia  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Faidth

• Captain
New BB- Continued: Kingdoms of Tianxia
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:10:55 AM »
The word Tianxia is derived from a concept that means “under heaven.” Loosely translated, it is a term that was used to describe the known world, specifically the mortal realm. This board battle will be incorporating traditional elements of Chinese and Japanese myth, folklore, culture, and tradition.

Here is the basic premise (I’ll be adding some fluff pieces later.)

In Tianxia, there are seven recognized houses, which are effectively treated as kingdoms. Player characters have the opportunity to choose one of the seven major houses, the eighth (unofficial) house, the outcast house, or you may choose to belong to the Monks of the Elemental Path. I’ve detailed a bit of the info on the houses below. Each house represents certain qualities, virtues, and beliefs. These concepts dictate the overall philosophy and fighting style associated with each house.

1.   House of Red Fox
Those who belong to the house of Red Fox are said to be among the most cunning and clever. Those in House of Red Fox may be skilled merchants, bureaucrats, or even thieves. A common trait among those of this house is that they tend to be able to talk themselves out of almost any situation.

2.   House of Silver Crane
The House of Silver Crane claims the academics and scholars of Tianxia. As members of this house devote themselves to endless study, this house is associated with wisdom and intelligence.

3.   House of Falling Leaves
The House of Falling Leaves is associated with nature and healing. As such, many of them exhibit talents in herbalism, alchemy, apothecary arts, and poison-making. 

4.   House of Virtuous Lion
House of Virtuous Lion claims the most disciplined warriors in all of Tianxia. Their Samurai are unparalleled swordsmen known for their ferocity and skill in battle.

5.   House of Sleeping Bear

Those in House of Sleeping Bear are generally peaceful, and feel at home in the wild. They have a special affinity for animals, and are highly skilled in tracking and finding their way through the forests of Tianxia. Many are even able to communicate with creatures of the wild and befriend them.

6.   House of Sakura (Cherry Blossoms)
Those in House of Sakura are associated with beauty, grace, and civility. Their natural charisma and charm allows them to deftly move between the social circles of the other houses. They have few enemies and are well-respected. Many of them choose roles as matchmakers, advisors, or entertainers.

7.   House of Jade Dragon
House of Jade Dragon is known to be both powerful and manipulative. Members of this house tend to be very ambitious, and are willing to sacrifice the needs of others for their own gains.

House of Deadly Shadows

If you ask any of the other houses, the House of Deadly Shadows does not exist, but it is common knowledge that members of this house tend to do a great deal behind the scenes. Their Shadow Warriors are the assassins of Tianxia.

House of Wayward Traveler

House of Wayward Traveler is not recognized as an official house of Tianxia as it is composed of foreign travelers. They are a hodgepodge of immigrants or passers through from the far west. As such, they tend to possess an edge in technology. While many of the other houses utilize the same weapons that have sustained their means of combat for centuries, the House of Wayward Traveler is known for their use of projectile weapons capable of inflicting deadly harm.

Monks of the Elemental Path

Monks of the Elemental Path dedicate themselves to enlightenment and inner peace. Despite their generally tranquil demeanor, they have been known to take up arms should the need present itself. When a person chooses to follow the elemental path, they must select which of the five schools they will attend. Each school is dedicated to the mastery of a specific element: Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, or Nature (not heart  :P)

Should a person demonstrate exceptional aptitude in their selected element, they may be asked to join The Monks of the Celestial Path. Only a very select few have what it takes to do so, as being a Monk of the Celestial Path requires mastery in all five elements. The reason it is called the Celestial Path is because the five elements are typically shown as representing the point of a star.

Air
   Water     Nature

Earth        Fire

Khalkha
The Khlakha are not currently playable in this BB as they will serve as antagonists. They consist of nomadic tribes of the North, and are known to be extremely aggressive and war-like. They have been conquering small villages as they move through the northern lands and southeast towards Tianxia. They are usually perceived as uncivilized compared to the residents of Tianxia. Once dismissed as a group of surly barbarians, the Kingdoms of Tianxia are finally recognizing the Khalkha as a true threat. Under their current leader Ganzorig Khaan, they have made a massive push towards Tianxia’s borders.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:26:08 AM by Faidth »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
Re: New BB- Continued: Kingdoms of Tianxia
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:12:57 AM »
Please let me know, tentatively, which houses or affiliations you are the most interested in. The ones you express interest in will be those I provide the most info. for. The rest I can flesh out in-game.

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:27:26 AM »
I am interested in the wayward traveler, falling leaves, and the elemental monks!

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 01:23:36 PM »
I very much like the look of the House of Deadly shadows.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 11:38:20 PM »
Red Fox.  I've been wanting a character that can talk his way out of stuff.

In DnD I even pre-rolled a character that's an HR dilettante that resolves pay issues and workplace complaints.  Haven't gotten to use him.

Fjorin's quiet, The Gorger's a dick, Jorumn lacks a personality, Jin just naturally calms people... I want a smooth talker!

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:26:50 AM »
My interest is in the house of Sakura,  I want to try and make a washed up comedian or something among those lines.
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:15:44 PM »
I'll be holding off on this one but it sounds very interesting. I'll be following along surely.