Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Westward: Incident at Fort Southridge  (Read 49627 times)

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
Re: Westward: Incident at Fort Southridge
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »
   Sebastian thanks Rusty and moves to his room. After a quick check up on his guns, ammunition and supplies, he turns off the light and moves to the window. He spends a few hours gazing through the window, watching as people come in and out of the tavern. There was some info on a few wanted parties being in the vicinity, even though he is on a different job, a few extra bits never hurt. None of the people he sees bare the traits of the bounties, so he gives up, counts his bits and retires for the night, it was a long stretch to begin with, but he had time to spare.

In the morning he rides to the tram, with a horse prepared by the marshal. The conscripts, who are boarding it, make the hunter a bit tense, but with the marshal there, there is nothing to worry about. Nothing of importance happens during the rest of the trip to Yewanrey and they safely reach their destination, which appears to be a doctor’s cabinet.

"Doc! Where are ya? Show your face ya crotchety old bastard!"

As Sebastian enters after Vildayvin, he is almost hit by the flying object. With his reflexes he manages to steps backwards and to the left, getting out of the way, while simultaneously flapping his trench coat open and reaching for his shotgun. Before he manages to place his hand on his weapon, he realizes the object is just an empty bottle and instead reaches for it with his right hand and catches it mid-flight, as it attempts to whiz by.

"Stop yer hollering ya damn loudmouth!... Please sit down"

The jagger leaves the bottle on a nearby shelf, takes a sit and listens to the rest of the conversation.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:39:35 AM by Radobe »
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 02:00:24 AM »
"Lasher venom! What the hell are you thinking Doc?!?  Ya know that stuff is a potent paralyzer!"

Doc looks at Vildayvin with an annoyed gaze.

"Of course I know its a paralyzer!!  Those damn ferals in the area like to use it to knock out the guards for the caravans in the area, grab all they can and amskray before anyone can stop them!"

(Vil) "Yeah...so what the hell are you doing trying to get your hands on the stuff?!?"

"Im trying to stop them in their tracks THATS what im doing!  Its almost impossible to get any large amount of the stuff to test and try to create a possible anti-toxin or anything.  I got word from a contact at Southridge that they managed to get their hands on such a stash and so I...."obtained" it from them.  It was supposed to be getting dropped off by a caravan a while ago but the caravan never showed up.  Naturally I do not like the idea some some damn scav or feral may have their hands on the stuff."

Vildayvin leans in close at this point as he speaks to Doc.

(V) "Yeah and anyone finds out you ordered the stuff and jumps to the wrong conclusion...."

"Yeah...im too damn old to be getting exiled."

(V) "Did anyone else know about the delivery?"

"Not of the specific contents hell no!  I simply ordered some "medical supplies" from the Fort."

(V) "Ok, so key here is we gotta try to find the caravan and try and get that stuff back asap."

"Pretty much....the only good thing is my friend placed the venom within a special case that would only unlock if a specific keycode combination was entered into it."

Doc then pulls a small piece of paper out of his robe and slides it across the table to Vildayvin.

"You'll understand the combo when you see the case."

Vildayvin glances at the paper then slides it into a pocket inside his coat.  He then stands up and glances at Seth and Sebastian.

(V) "Well gentlemen, shall we be on our way?"
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
Sebastian stays in his seat for a few seconds, before the muffled voice from behind the mask is heard.

“I believe, that the change,” the Jagger stands up from his seat, as he speaks. “In the... sensitivity of the assignment, should be reflected appropriately in my final payment.”

It is not in Sebastian's nature to miss an opportunity for squeezing a few extra bits out.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »
"Shut up." Sethranas says after hearing the Jagger try and squeeze extra money out of Vildayvin. "We knew there were risks when we took the job. Don't try and haggle more pay."

Seth crosses his arms and looks down, his hood obscuring his eyes as he leans on the back wall. "Lasher Venom. Hm. Alright."

Standing up, he turns and heads out the door.

"I may be able to make something to help deal with that on the way there, or at least formulate it. We'd best not waste time, however."

Sitting down on the bike's seat, he removes the necklace from his head and puts the key into the ignition. The bike flares to life with a growl, and Seth fixes the goggles to his face.

"We shouldn't keep the Ferals waiting after all."

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 08:51:42 PM »
Vildayvin glances towards the Jagger as he speaks.

"I believe, that the change in the... sensitivity of the assignment, should be reflected appropriately in my final payment.”

"Shut up. We knew there were risks when we took the job. Don't try and haggle more pay."

Doc speaks up before the Marshal can respond.

"Worry not bounty hunter...you're silence will be rewarded."

He then gets up and walks into another room and comes out with three full packs.  He hands two to Vildayvin and one to Sebastian.  Sebastian finds sufficient rations for about 3 weeks or so and a bag at the bottom containing 100 bits.  Vildayvin turns walks outside, tossing one of the packs to Seth after he starts up his bike.  Seth finds sufficient rations for 3 weeks and a bag containing 125 bits, looks like Doc added in a lil extra for the techanic.

"Lets hit the trail, its about 3 week travel from here to Fort Southridge.  The caravan...or what may remain of it...will be somewhere between here and the Fort.  We need to find it and find out where the supplies may have gone.

He climbs up onto his horse and fastens the pack to the side of his saddle then takes off towards the gate of the city.  A guard at the gate motions for the group to stop.

"Where are ya headed Marshal?"

(V) "Looking into a caravan disappearance somewhere between here and the Fort."

"Fair warning...there are rumors going around that something has happened up at the Fort...we havent received any communications from there in a while.  Damn Ferals have been a problem lately so we havent been able to look into it."

(V) "Thanks for the information."

The guard nods as the one gate creaks open allowing the party to leave.  Vildayvin spurs his horse as he takes off down the main trail leading towards Fort Southridge.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 06:43:20 AM »
"Shut up. We knew there were risks when we took the job. Don't try and haggle more pay."

Sebastian turns and faces the techanic.

"Worry not bounty hunter...you're silence will be rewarded."

The Jagger stands motionless and stares at Seth as he leaves. A short laughter is heard underneath the mask, before he turns and takes a pack from the doc and follows Vildayvin outside.

They mount their steads and after a short conversation with a guard, head down the road to Fort Southridge.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 01:31:15 PM »
The trio spend about a week and a half traveling along the route to Fort Southridge when they encounter the remains of a caravan on the road.  Bringing his horse to a stop Vildayvin hops off and begins to investigate the ruined carts and desicated remains.  After a few moments he returns to the group.

"Looks like this is the caravan we were looking for.  The case is missing, likely taken by the raiders...."

Suddenly a shot rings out as a bullet ricochets off the ground near the group.  Vildayvin turns in the direction of the shot as he runs to get behind one of the carts.

"Bandits in the rocks!  Get to cover!"

He unholsters his large revolvers and begins to fire on the raiders from behind the cart.

OOC
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:34:21 PM by Jharm »

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 05:25:55 PM »
When Vildayvin heads for cover, Seth simply adjusts his goggles. Putting both hands on the handlebars, he revs the gas and holds the brakes at the same time, kicking up a massive cloud of dust that obscures him before releasing the brakes, bursting from the dust cloud while drawing a pistol with his now free hand. At first he rides in a straight line parallel to the rocks, allowing him to line up a shot before he makes a hard turn, kicking up more dust as he steadies his arm and fires. There is a hiss of steam as his gauntlets absorb the force of the shot, keeping his arm steady and absorbing the recoil, allowing him to fire twice more before speeding off in the opposite direction, kicking up dust. His target took a bullet to the shoulder and went down, the other two skipping off the rocks near him.

"Come and get me, you aimless bastards!" Seth shouts, continually changing his direction to avoid any of the bandits actually wising up and trying to lead him on, kicking up dust to make it harder to fix a shot on him.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 10:52:51 AM »
Hearing the first shot, Sebastian quickly jumps to the nearest cover, but as soon as he sees the dust cloud left behind Seth's bike he dashes into it. Moving in even closer, using the second cloud left by the bike to cover his approach, he prepares to rush the rock formations. With his shotgun unhooked from the sling and already in his left hand, the Jagger dives into the rocks. The small man's approach was undetected by the riders and he gets the opportunity to deliver a surprise attack. He will empty his barrels into the first riders he comes upon.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 12:20:23 AM »
The bandits watch as two of their number are gunned down in the blink of an eye by the one man hiding behind the cart as the one traveler fires up the motorize bike creating dust clouds impeding their vision followed by gunshots ringing out from within as another bandit goes down with a bullet tearing through his shoulder.  The third traveler then comes out of the nearest cloud of dust left by the bike, a blast from his shotgun tearing a hole in the gut of the nearest bandit to him before he retreated behind a rock.

"Oh screw this!  Im outta here!"

The farthest bandit turns and runs up the rocky hill behind them, fleeing over the hill as the final remaining bandit is gunned down by the trio.  Vildayvin sprints from behind the cart after the bandit and points towards the injured raider on the ground clutching his shoulder, shouting towards Sebastian.

"See what he knows!"

He then disappears over the hill.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 08:14:49 AM »
Everyone’s quick actions lead to the battle ending as abruptly as it started and Vildayvin runs after the last remaining rider, leaving Sebastian a task he is most suitable for.

The Jagger approaches the wounded rider and crouches next to him. He notices the man’s breathing becomes faster and more sporadic as he stands there.
“You worried?” Squeezing under the index and little finger, the hunter removes the man’s arm from his shoulder and looks at the wound. “Ah, there we go. Tc tc tc, that is a nasty one you got there. Well you are better off than the other fellas. Tell you what, I am in a bit of a hurry so we will try the easy way first.” Sebastian pauses for a few seconds and inspects the wound closely. The bullet passed through his shoulder, which is good, but the man would still bleed out. “If not treated, your wound will kill you and I assume returning to your gang won’t be all hugs and kisses. Tell me where the caravan cargo is, how many men are with it and how you came upon this particular caravan and I promise you two things: I will make sure your wound doesn’t kill you and I will give you three weeks’ worth of rations” He grabs the bandit’s hand, place is it back on his shoulder and leans in a little bit closer. “The choice is yours.”

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »
The man glances up at the masked face before him, coughing as pain wracks his body.  A laugh escape his lips.

"You think Im willing to tell you anything?!?  I tell you what I know and sure as shit I'll be hunted down by the boss's men and gunned down!"

A shot rings out suddenly.  From atop the nearby hill Vildayvin appears alone.  One can safely assume what happened to the fleeing gunman at this point.  The eyes of the wounded raider grow wide as he spots the Marshal's badge upon Vildayvin's chest and gets a good look at his face.

"Oh god...not him!"

He reaches up and grabs Sebastian's coat pulling him close.

"Ok, you promise me freedom I'll tell you what you want!  Just keep him away from me!"

He releases Sebastian and falls back as a coughing fit overtakes him."

"Ok, I don't know exactly where the cargo is I swear!  After we hit the caravan the boss took the case with him.  He made mention of meeting up with some other raiders and hitting the Fort.  They supposedly had a mech or two ready.  That's all I know i swear!"

At this point Vildayvin reaches the group and rests his hand on the handle of the hand cannon on his right hip.

"Well I see our friend here is still alive and kicking.   I wonder for how much longer though....."

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 05:28:59 AM »
The Jagger looks at Vildayvin, for a moment he though the marshal knew what he was up to. He focuses his attention at the dying man. “Your boss, give me his name.”

“It’s Edgar man, Edgar Kreevan!” The unfortunate man wriggles in pain on the ground.

Sebastian stands up and glares at the injured criminal, than turns towards Vildayvin. “His boss took the case and went to the fort to meet up with other riders. Apparently they have one or two mechs with them. It is the first time I hear of riders attacking a fort. Sounds weird to me, do you want to ask anything else?”
After the marshal is done, Sebastian goes back to his horse and takes his bag of rations. He had already taken the bits, so he simply tosses it in the rider’s feet. “Here are your rations. As for your wound, I promised I will not let it kill you and I am a man of my word.”  The hunter opens up his trench coat and puts his hand on the shotgun. If none of his companions voice out a complaint in the next two seconds, the Jagger will shoot the man.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:11:29 PM by Radobe »

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2013, 11:46:27 AM »
"Don't." Seth said as he approached on foot, rolling his bike alongside him. His hood was down and his goggles rested on his forehead, but his gaze was no less serious.

"Don't extort a man for information and then betray him to his death. You'll be no better than a Bandit at that point. I shoot bandits. If you have any medical skill then aid him. If not, I can construct a bandage for his arm though I have no dressings. Either way, the man is leaving with his life today."

To accentuate his point, Seth's free left hand roamed down to his belt, where his revolver sat ready to answer Sebastian should he refuse.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2013, 11:24:27 PM »
The Marshal is about to draw his revolver and gun down the bandit when Seth approaches.

"Dont.  Don't extort a man for information and then betray him to his death. You'll be no better than a Bandit at that point. I shoot bandits. If you have any medical skill then aid him. If not, I can construct a bandage for his arm though I have no dressings. Either way, the man is leaving with his life today."

Vildayvin looks at Seth then at Sebastian and removes his hand from the handle of the revolver on his right hip.  He then turns and walks over to one of the dead bandits and proceeds to rip the shirt off the corpse, tearing it into strips of cloth.  He then returns to the wounded bandit, kneeling down near him.

"Consider yourself lucky that he was here...."

He then examines the wound, knowing a little in the field of medicine thanks to the teachings of his dead parents.

"It would seem you are doubly lucky today scum.  Looks like the bullet passed right through you."

He then takes the strips of cloth and begins to wrap them tightly over the wound.  After a few moments he looks over his handywork.

"There, that should keep you from dying for a while."

He then leans in close to the bandits ear so only the bandit can hear what is said next.

"Keep in mind though....I EVER find you in the company of bandits or ferals again....you will NOT be so lucky.  I suggest you do not waste this second chance."

Standing back up the Marshal waves in the direction he had chased the fleeing bandit towards.

"Go on....you have 30 seconds to get out of my sight or else.......1......2.......3"

The bandit struggles to his feet, picks up his fallen sidearm and runs off up the hill out of sight.  Vildayvin turns to the Jagger and Technic.

"Well it is pretty obvious we must continue on to Fort Southridge.  I wonder how ol' Richter is doin..."

He then turns and heads back towards the horses, mounting up and once his companions are mounted as well, heads off towards the Fort.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2013, 03:49:09 AM »
Sebastian waits for Vildayvin to head towards the horses, than addresses Seth. “You offer mercy to those who won’t show any in return.” Even though his voice is muffled, you can catch a hint of pity in it. “We live in a world where guns dictate the rules. When he gets better, he will be the same. He will kill and he will rob people, the only difference being, that those he kills from now on will lay on your conscious as well.”

After the little chat, the Jagger goes and joins Vildayvin.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:39:25 AM by Radobe »

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
Arrival at Fort Southridge
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
The trio continue traveling for about another week and a half until they notice a plume of black smoke on the horizon.  After clearing the next hill they can see the walls of Fort Southridge, the plume of smoke coming from behind them, evidence that something has happened at the Fort.  As the group heads towards the North Bridge of the Fort, it would be hard not to be impressed.  The walls stand approx. 32 feet tall, with two massive twin cannons on both sides of the main gate.  The gate itself is covered in a series of complex, interlocking gears.  One either side of the gate stands a guard, fully armored and armed with a rifle and spear.  As Vil and the others draw near the two guards take notice and move to block entry as a single figure, armed with a rather nasty looking rifle on his shoulder,  emerges from a small guard post next to the gate and approaches the travelers, a third guard following behind him.  Seth and Sebastian reach the man first with Vil hanging behind.

Zav (The man with the rifle): "Halt right there, who are you and what are you doing here?"

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 07:53:03 AM »
The smoke coming from the horizon was a sign that the bandit’s words were true. Taking that into account, the situation in the fort would probably be tense.

Upon reaching the fort, the party is met by a group of guards and someone who seems to be of higher rank or at least of higher stature. Sebastian tosses a look at Vil, who is staying at the back silently. Realizing he expects them to take care of the situation themselves, he grinds his teeth quietly and looks at the man who approached them.

“I am Sebastian Crombel, I am a jagger and my contract brings me and my associates, to your fort.” He faces the smoke coming up from the fort. “We will conduct our business quickly and be out of your hair before you know it. “ The bounty hunter returns his gaze upon the man in front of him, “I thrust this will not trouble you.” He tosses a look bat at Vildayvin, as if asking if he had something to add.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 11:35:49 PM »
Seth wasn't very invested in the conversation at the moment. He was busy working with a set of tools on finishing his rifle. The double-barrel had been welded together and fixed to the stock, his only trouble now was wiring the trigger mechanism and the pressure system to the rifle itself. He was currently resting the rifle in the crook of his arm while he worked at the pressure system with a pair of pliers, twisting and affixing wires as he slowly worked it around to the trigger he had installed.

Still, his mind flashed to where he had stashed his bike. It should be safe where it was, under a tarp that gave it the appearance of a rock or sand dune, under the shadow of a steep hill near the fort, the hill obscuring it from plain view. Just in case, it was spiked to the ground and padlocked, and the key hung on his neck next to the ignition key.

"If my partner says anything stupid, please don't point guns at me. I'm not exactly paying attention to his words so I can't retort if he says anything particularly tactless." Seth notes offhandedly, pulling his goggles over his eyes to keep the dust out while he leaned over his work. Nonetheless, he kept glancing to the side under the goggles, noting the guards and being wary of when he might need to reach for one of his pistols.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 01:37:23 PM »
Zav glances between the two men who speak to him and then to the man behind them.  His eyes, partially hidden by a pair of dark shades, squint slightly as the silent man seems vaguely familiar but he can't seem to place him yet.  He slings the rifles harness over his shoulder, letting it hang slightly.

"Jagger eh?  Well if you were after the bandits who attacked up then it looks like you missed out on your contract.  Only one was spared and thanks to me (he pats the butt of his rifle) he is securely locked up in our jail underneath City Hall.  As long as you are all who you say you are then you are free to enter, just don't cause any trouble or else, got me?"

He then glances up towards the top of the wall and gestures with his hand.  The large gears on the doors being to spin as a few loud clicks can be heard as locking mechanisms are disengaged and the doors crack open slightly, allowing the three men to enter the Fort.

The three men enter with Vildayvin taking up the rear, nodding slightly at Zav as he passes by, eliciting a raised eyebrow from the man.  A small sign post off to the side of the road bears a map showing the key places of Fort Southridge.  Farther down the wall repairs are in work fixing damage cause by the most recent bandit attack.  A man wearing a gray suit and a pair of spectacles seems to be in charge of the operation.  The sunlight glints off a Marshal's badge upon his chest as he turns and notices the jagger and techanic.  Upon seeing Vildayvin he pauses and scratches at his graying beard.  A man walks up behind him and begins talking to him, distracting the Marshal for the moment.  Vildayvin turns to the two men with him at this point.

"I have some business to attend to.  See what you can learn about the attack, that bandit will probably be the best source of info as to where the box might be right now.  I will catch up with you two when I am finished."

He then heads towards the man in the suit, eventually hopping off his horse and striking up a conversation with the man.