Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Eye of Terror: The Labyrinthine Depths of Chaos (Part III)  (Read 38291 times)

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
Re: The Eye of Terror: The Labyrinthine Depths of Chaos (Part III)
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2015, 09:29:04 PM »
Though lying prone and with his eyes closed, Soul Reaver remains dimly aware of the proceedings around him.  He hears the conversation between Peterson and Cameron.  He senses a great power surging in Cameron, but even so it cannot prevent Peterson from escaping.

Then he hears Cameron speak in a strange voice unlike his own.  He can feel their murderous intent directed at him.

“This was your fault.”

Soul Reaver struggles to muster enough strength to respond.  He forces his eyes open again, though his vision is still mostly obscured by a thick smear of blood.

“This is YOUR fault.”

A huge figure interposes itself between himself and Cameron.  Soul Reaver is dimly surprised to realize none other than the Ork is protecting him, apparently preparing to fight once more.

Concluding that this could end up in yet another fight - one they could ill afford - Jharm appears as well and tries to calm Cameron down.

Soul Reaver, in the meantime, has managed to raise himself to a half-sitting position, keeping himself upright with his right arm.  He spits a mouthful of blood to the ground before looking up at Cameron.  He speaks in a croaky, strained voice.

"Jharm is right.  Nothing would please Peterson more than if we were all to continue to spill each others' blood here.

But you are right as well.  I do not begrudge you your hatred.  This was caused by my failings, my weaknesses.  This... is not the first time I have failed, and not the first time it has cost someone something dear."

Soul Reaver seems to be searching for something to say, but eventually gives up, settling for something so mundane that, under the circumstances, it seems almost laughable.

"I am truly sorry, Cameron."

More quietly, his voice cracking with uncharacteristic emotion, he adds:

"She was my friend as well."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:14:36 PM by Soul Reaver »

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2015, 02:00:42 PM »
Peterson looked in his direction for just a moment, and spoke to them.

“The same goes for the rest of you. If you think you can stop me, then by all means, let’s see it!”

Sepher's fist clenched, and power built. He took a step foward, but couldnt let himself move any further. They just didn't have it in them to take him down right now.

He watched as Cameron, voice sounding... off, and peterson had a short exchange of words and sword blows. He took another hesitant step forward.

“Oh, there you are. Finally wake up? This power of yours is new. I guess your girl must have done some tinkering in that head of yours before I snuffed her.”

“I know how you feel. Just like I knew how Soul Reaver felt. I know what it’s like to lose the one you love and not be there to stop it from happening. You’ve saved her before, but this time you couldn’t.”

“You will pay for this.”

“But I’ve already paid. This is you paying me back.”

“We’re finally even now, you son of a bitch.”

Suddenly, Peterson vanished and Cameron's weapons slammed into the ground. He turned to face the companions, particularly soul and spoke, his voice cold.

“This was your fault.”

Cameron begins to slowly walk towards Soul Reaver and the companions, with his burning weapons clenched in his hands. His slow, deliberate footsteps echo throughout the empty warehouse as he approaches. His expression cannot be read at all but the companions can practically feel the killing intent radiating from him.

“This is YOUR fault.”

Sepher's eyes pinch shut. Even as his other companions begin to move and react, he just thinks to himself, that he's getting too old for this shit. His eyes pop open and he speaks, more than a little heat in his voice, even as he moves to stand next to the fallen soul reaver.

"Hasn't there been enough damned blood, Cameron?" he ground out "Don't turn into hate and anger too. Don't let this place consume you. We've all lost too much already."

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »
Kitharsis glances at the other companions as Cameron marches towards them. They have all moved into defensive positions around Soul Reaver, so the Tirthandaran does the same. What's left of the Bone Golem steps between the companions and Soul Reaver, ready to intercede on his behalf in case Cameron makes it past the others.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
Cameron continues his death march. He ignores the ork for the moment. The ork obviously wants a fight, and that is surely what he will get. But then Jharm shouts to him.

"Cameron!  Do not do this!  It is EXACTLY what Peterson WANTS you to do!  He is turning us against each other!  Didn't you hear what he said?!? He twisted Soul Reaver's thoughts and feelings just like he has done to you now! Think this through!"

Cameron's face remains void of any kind of expression. But his words drip with rage.

"Soul Reaver allowed himself to be corrupted in a moment of weakness. That is why she is dead."

Sepher is the next to speak.

"Hasn't there been enough damned blood, Cameron?" he ground out "Don't turn into hate and anger too. Don't let this place consume you. We've all lost too much already."

Cameron turns his expressionless gaze towards Sepher.

"You have lost nothing. I have lost everything. This is not your decision to make."

And as Cameron finishes speaking and continues moving forward, he hears Soul Reaver speak from behind the others.

"I am truly sorry, Cameron. She was my friend as well."

"She sacrificed herself to save you. She sacrificed herself..."

Cameron falters. He takes one more heavy step before stopping. His face is still expressionless, but he appears to be turning something over in his mind.

"The price was too great to pay."

And with that, the faceplate of Cameron's armor slams shut, hiding his face behind the expressionless metal plate of the Grey Knight's pattern. Be begins marching forward again, closing with the companions, seconds away from reaching them and engaging.

Cameron, stop.

Cameron had just raised his weapons and was preparing a lunge to attack Jharm and Gulgrim. He stops short.

Kalana? Where are you?

Cameron can hear Kalana's voice inside his mind. He has to concentrate to understand it over the echoes of other voices in his mind. It as if she is speaking to him from inside a crowded room.

Cameron, I don't have much time. My consciousness is still inside your mind, but my soul is gone and it has nothing to anchor itself to.

What does that mean? What can I do?

There's nothing you can do. My consciousness is being absorbed into yours. It's already hard for me to think... for myself. Within a few moments, I'll simply be... a collection of memories... inside your mind.

No! I can save you! I've saved you before! Peterson has your soul! I can-

No. Peterson doesn't take souls and keep them, like Abbadon did. Peterson... devours souls. There is... nothing.... left.

That's impossible. There has to be a way.

There... is not. You've already... saved me... so many times... but you cannot save me this time. You cannot... save... everyone.

Kalana! I can't lose you like this... I can't.

Cameron... this was not... your fault. And it wasn't Master Reaver's fault either. I chose... this path...

Cameron doesn't respond. He lowers his weapons slowly.

You... must move on... help the others... finish this fight... and make... sure that... my sacrifice... was not in vain.

Kalana's voice is slipping away. Lost in the crowd of other voices from memories inside Cameron's mind.

Your mind... open to you now... take my power... wield it well... find your true potential.

Cameron can feel it. Even with Kalana's presence waning, her psychic energy and the changes she made to his mind still persist. He seems to notice the elemental form that he is in for the first time.

I don't want this power. I'll give it all back just to see you one more time.

Faintly, Cameron hears Kalana laugh for the final time.

You... always were... useless without me... but I will always... be with you... I love you...

Cameron speaks out loud.

"I love you too."

There is no reply. Kalana's consciousness is gone. Cameron turns to the others. His weapons extinguish themselves and return to their normal shapes. The flaming wings at his back dissipate in a plume of smoke. And when his faceplate retracts again, his eyes are back to normal.

"I am sorry. I let my emotions get the better of me. But we don't have any more time for infighting. We have to keep moving. The Spire awaits."

Cameron turns back to the ruined part of the warehouse behind him. He raises Anathros into the air, and four beams of light extend from various piles of rubble.

"Karyl, Kari, Garr, and Mary. They're still alive. Please help me extract them from this mess."

Cameron begins to move towards the area where the Elementals are buried. As he turns away, Soul Reaver receives a mental message from him.

I guess now we're even as well.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:52:02 AM by Cameron »

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2016, 06:51:27 PM »
Cameron continues to advance, apparently unmoved by the pleas of his companions.  Soul Reaver is in no state to defend himself, but even so his muscles tense, and he begins to murmur words of magic.  He doubted he could do anything to stop Cameron if he got past Gulgrim, Kitharsis and Jharm, but he wasn't the type to simply allow death to take him quietly.  Cameron raises his weapons...

...but then gives pause.  For a few moments, he stands, statue-like, as though fighting an internal battle.  After a time, he speaks.

"I love you too."

Soul Reaver's face falls.  He may not have heard the rest of Cameron's internal conversation, but the intonation of the words was unmistakable.  It was a farewell, and there was no doubt about who it was meant for.

Cameron turns to his companions and issues an apology and asks for help in rescuing the other Elementals.  As he turns away, Soul Reaver receives a mental message from him.

I guess now we're even as well

Soul Reaver shakes his head, though Cameron is not there to see it.

No, this was not a matter of debt.  It wasn't a matter of payment or repayment.  Soul Reaver had done something terrible, and it was his companions that had suffered for his errors.

In his long life, Soul Reaver had learned long ago that there was no point in keeping score - those numbers just tallied endlessly, and did nothing to undo the suffering that had already been inflicted.  Kalana was gone, and he could not change it.  He could only redouble his efforts now - not to atone, but to prevent worse from happening.  And perhaps for revenge.

Soul Reaver manages a weak wave at his unexpected protectors.

"Thank you all for standing by me... despite everything."

With some effort, he gets into a kneeling position, and with a pained grunt, uses his remaining arm to leverage himself back onto his feet.  His wounds are healing, though only slowly.  He expended almost all his reserves during the battle, and it will take time for him to recover fully.

He walks over to Blooddrinker, lying in the ground nearby.  He looks down the sword, his face impassive.

The malevolent blade looks the same as it always has.  The metal is smooth, cold and unmarked, showing none of the cracks it manifested during the battle.

Never before had the Daemon Lord come so close to escaping as it had these scant few minutes ago.  The weapon was insidious - it would seek out any weakness and tirelessly chip away at it.  It would bring out the worst in its wielder, all for the purposes of strengthening itself enough to finally throw off its shackles.

Dare he pick it back up?  Yet every attempt to divest himself of it has only led to further calamity...

He looked around at his companions.  Perhaps this doom was inevitable - it may not happen during his own lifetime, but it could not be put off forever.  He could only hope that when that time came, brave souls like those standing here would be there to stand against it.

He turned his attention back to the sword.  He could not leave it.  But if it was coming with him, he needed to know they were working for the same goal.

For all your scheming, you have been played for a fool.

The sword remained silent, but it heard.

You, the mighty Daemon Lord, used as little more than a convenient puppet by Peterson.  He got what he came for, and you are left, trapped just as before.

Though it remains inert, Soul Reaver could imagine the fuming anger of the being within.

You will not overcome me again.

His custom scabbard - having been cut from him during the battle - manifests itself again on his back in a burst of red light.  Soul Reaver picks up the sword and in a single, smooth motion, sheathes it back into place.

When the time came, the Daemon Lord's rage at Peterson would serve him well.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2016, 08:01:23 PM »
"I love you too."

Simple words, but their meaning is profound.  Kitharsis exhales a breath he did not realize he was holding in.  It seems that it is finally over. 

Cameron requests assistance in finding the rest of the Elementals, but Kitharsis has someone else to tend to for the time being.

"Do not forget about Danyael," Kitharsis gives a quick, meaningful glance in Soul Reaver's direction.  "I'm going to tend to him, if he is still with us.  I will meet up with you all later."

The large sand sphere begins to collapse, sand falling in cascades around the seemingly lifeless body of his companion.  The tiny skeletal mage looks up with faintly glowing eyes.  It would appear that the enigma of a man known as Danyael has been motionless ever since being encased in Kitharsis's protection.  The tiny mage shakes its head, but it perks up once it notices the bone golem lumbering towards the collapsing sphere.

The tiny mage's jaw works, clattering away wordlessly at its master.  Kitharsis rubs his thumb and forefinger along his chin in thought.  Danyael has always been a mystery, and Kith would not be surprised if he had some sort of trick up his sleeve here.

"I'm not sure if this is in vain or not," Kitharsis says out loud, addressing Danyael's body.  "But if you are still with us, please give me a sign."

He says the last words almost pleadingly.

He awaits a response, but considering the circumstances he cannot tarry for too long.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2016, 08:56:28 PM »
The Seraphim braces as his friend raises his weapons, seconds away from attacking but then suddenly he just.....stops.  Seconds pass as he seems to remain almost motionless, Jharm holding his hammer at the ready, unsure what is going on.  Then he hears four words that hint that its over.

"I love you too."

He had no idea what may have just transpired within the mental realms of the Elemental, but he had traveled with Cameron long enough that those words would only have been uttered to one person, especially right now.  Was Kalana somehow still within Cameron?  That was a question the angellic being knew he could never ask...for what if he was wrong?  In the end though it mattered little as Cameron lowers his weapons and then requests the companions assist in rescuing the other elementals.  Launching himself into the air, the Seraphim quickly closes the distance to the nearest pile.  Dropping his massive hammer, a resounding thud echoing as it fell to the ground.  Jharm quickly begins to sling chunks of rubble out of the way, his almost godlike strength allowing him to heave any of the rubble out of the way, large or small.  As he progressed he sent a brief image and message to Cameron.

A short image appears showing seemingly endless ranks of Seraph warriors, organized into exact military square formations, their armor gleaming in the light from an unseen sun.  Flags bearing the emblem of the Seraph race flutter in a soft breeze as higher ranking Seraphs soar above the rank and file.  In the far distance gargantuan humanoid figures can be seen standing behind the foot soldiers.  The view pans out slightly to show Jharm standing upon a hill overlooking the forces.  The Seraphim turns to the "viewer" and then a message enters Camerons mind.

I promise you my friend....when the time comes for Justice...you shall have it.  The power of the Seraph legions shall be at your disposal if needed.
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2016, 03:43:43 AM »
Soul Reaver closes his eyes and draws a deep, painful breath, as though bracing himself for something.  He then turns on his heel and makes his way over to where Kitharsis' skeletal mage is tending to Danyael.

Soul Reaver draws up behind Kitharsis, and speaks in a hoarse whisper.

"How is he?"

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2016, 10:21:38 AM »
Apparently there wasn't going to be a scrap. That was disappointing. But in the back of Gulgrim's mind, he wasn't certain getting into a fight while he was this out of juice was a good idea, so he remained quiet about it. Instead, he just followed Cameron as he started to head toward his buried comrades. He may be out of Orky power, but he was still a massively muscular giant.

As he reached the first pile of rocks hiding one of Cameron's boyz, he just began lifting and hurling the boulders away, his energy slowly returning as he got to work, the boulders he could lift becoming slowly more impressively large as his raw strength slowly began to increase under the return of his power.

Throughout this, he remained mostly silent, save for the noises of exertion as he lifted and tossed masses of rock away.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:43:04 PM by Shadow Chorus »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2016, 03:01:47 PM »
The little skeleton cocks it's head at Soul Reaver as he approaches. It's jaw clatters away in response to the question of Danyael's well-being. It's un-interpretable for Soul Reaver, but Kitharsis nods along with the little skeleton's speech.

Kitharsis clears his throat. "She doesn't quite trust you yet, but thinks you seem more reasonable than before."

The stony warrior kneels and grabs a fistful of sand. "But no signs of life from Danyael. He remains unresponsive."

He opens his fist and lets the sand run through his fingers.

"You certainly did a number on us, my friend."

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2016, 02:27:42 PM »
Soul Reaver approaches Danyael's prone body.  The sword wound he suffered in the battle would have been fatal for a mortal, but then Danyael was no ordinary mortal.  Soul Reaver crouches down, looking at Danyael intently, then exhales a sigh of relief.

"He lives.  His soul still resides in his body.  I believe he is in some sort of regenerative stasis."

Soul Reaver continues to look down at Danyael.  From his Infinity Pouch he draws forth some manner of salve, which he applies gently to Danyael's wound.  The warrior - normally a paragon of strength - looks weary.  Weary and old.  When he speaks, he does so flatly, without looking up from his work.  Yet the words come form his heart as surely as his life's blood.

"I wish I could say I was not myself when I did this.  But that would be to make light of my own failings.

Having had to let Asaki go felt like a culmination of the many personal sacrifices I had been forced to make in the past.  Deep down I was resentful, bitter... angry.  At the Soreans, at myself, even at all of you.  My feelings were irrational and unjustified, but Blooddrinker felt them, and must have used them against me ever since.

It was selfish of me to even consider wanting to keep Asaki with me.

Were I a better man, I would have taken comfort in knowing that to truly love something means being willing to let it go."

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2016, 10:22:02 PM »
Sepher hears and sees little else beyond cameron’s march towards soul, and even as he spoke, his mouth dropped open slightly at cameron’s reply to his plea.

Cameron turns his expressionless gaze towards Sepher.

"You have lost nothing. I have lost everything. This is not your decision to make."

Sepher’s back stiffens slightly as he hears this, and his mouth clicks shut, his eyes narrowing towards cameron. He doesn’t know anything about Sepher’s past to be able to speak to him like that. He does not reply however. Just watches as cameron moves foward.

As cameron moves forward, hew finally speaks out loud again, seemingly to no one in particular, though sepher suspects that there might be more going on here.

Cameron speaks out loud.

"I love you too."

Finally, the elemental’s weapons extinguish, and his features seem to return to normal.

"I am sorry. I let my emotions get the better of me. But we don't have any more time for infighting. We have to keep moving. The Spire awaits."

Cameron turns back to the ruined part of the warehouse behind him. He raises Anathros into the air, and four beams of light extend from various piles of rubble.

"Karyl, Kari, Garr, and Mary. They're still alive. Please help me extract them from this mess."

Sepher sighs, some of his tension fleeing, before moving forward to assist cameron in the extraction.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2016, 10:39:34 PM »
"He lives.  His soul still resides in his body.  I believe he is in some sort of regenerative stasis."

Kitharsis is clearly relieved, "I would expect no less from him."

He rises as Soul Reaver applies a salve to the wound, leaving him to his work.   As Soul Reaver explains his actions Kitharsis looks at him.  The terrifyingly powerful being wreaking havoc on the companions mere moments ago is completely gone.  An old, weary warrior stands before him.  Kitharsis's own fatigue slumps his shoulders.  He absently rubs the ruined tattoo on his forearm.

"Love is a strange thing," He says, eyes focused on a distant memory.  "You are not the only one missing a piece of themselves.  It's one of the oldest stories in the book."

A slight grin curves the corner of his lips.  "But one as old of you would know that by now."

He crosses his arms, serious expression returning, "Had you not relented we would have killed you, or you would have killed us.  Such is the price of your failings, and of our failings for not noticing your pain.  A harsh lesson."

He places his hand on Soul Reaver's shoulder.  "But we stand together, always.  Do not forget that."

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2016, 04:12:09 PM »
Soul Reaver finishes his work as Kitharsis speaks to him.  A hard yet friendly hand places itself on his shoulder.

"But we stand together, always.  Do not forget that."

Soul Reaver looks over his shoulder and allows himself a smile.

"I could not imagine anyone I would rather stand together with."

He then turns back to inspect Danyael.

"It is good that you were prepared to kill me if that's what it took.  Such evil must be stopped at all costs.

It reassures me to know that if I were to fall - in whatever manner it may be - other worthy individuals will continue to hold the torch high"

He sits silent for a moment, then rises to his feet, putting the half-empty jar of salve back into his Infinity Pouch

"The salve will assist in the healing of his body, though I do not know what it will take to bring him out of his stasis.  Hopefully all he requires is time.

He seems to draw strength from the land, so perhaps he would recover quicker if removed from this cursed place."

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2016, 08:46:18 PM »
"A heavy torch to pass. But there will always be those willing to carry it." He gives Soul Reaver's shoulder a gentle squeeze before letting go.

"If time and distance is what he needs, I should be able to accommodate."

He digs through a pouch on his belt and pulls out a ceramic, rune covered object. He considers it for a time before handing it to the little skeleton.

"This is a recall rune. It will take whoever activates it to its twin on my ship. There is a trick to it, of course."

The little skeleton nods, fully aware of the secrets of the recall runes.

Kitharsis continues, "I have a large crew of skeletons in my ship. This is a call for backup or a quick escape. I'll have this skeleton take Danyael to my ship. And from there they will take him to the Shaman. He should be able to care for Danyael until he recovers."

The skeleton's hands glow and a sequence of runes activate on the surface of the object. It hops onto Danyael's body and with a wave the two of them disappear in a flash. After images of runes linger in the air and fade away.

Kitharsis sighs, "It's done."

He looks over his shoulder to where the others are digging for the elementals. "There is no time to waste. Let's assist them in finding the elementals."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:16:04 PM by Kitharsis »

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2016, 03:41:10 AM »
Soul Reaver watches as Kitharsis brings Danyael to the safety of his ship.  When Kitharsis talks about helping the others, Soul Reaver nods.

"I am not at my normal strength.  But if another pair-" he looks at his missing arm and corrects himself, "-another hand will help, I will do what I can"

He glances around quickly and spots a large steel rod lying nearby.

That will serve as a crowbar.

He scoops it up in his hand and heads as fast as his wounds allow him toward the nearest pile of rubble lit by a light beam.  When he arrives, he plants the steel rod with a grunt, then uses it to lever chunks of masonry off the pile.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 03:05:36 PM by Soul Reaver »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2016, 04:15:21 PM »
Slowly but surely, the Companions dig through the rubble of the warehouse to extract the fallen Elementals.

As Jharm tosses debris aside, he sends a mental image to Cameron. Cameron is still weighed down by the loss of Kalana. But the image of Jharm’s forces combined with the promise of possible justice fills him with determination.

Thank you, friend. When the time comes, I look forward to having you at my side.

Just as Jharm receives Cameron’s reply, he breaks through the pile of debris to find Karyl face down on the ground. His guitar is underneath him, and he appears to be positioned to shield it from the falling rocks with his body. He is unconscious and badly in need of healing, as his arm and both legs are clearly broken.

Sepher is the next one to make a rescue. Heaving a huge support beam aside, he uncovers the crumpled form of Garr. He appears to be more intact than Karyl but a terrible gash on his head indicates where he took a direct hit from the falling beam. He is also unconscious.

Cameron barely overhears Kitharsis speaking with Soul Reaver as he digs through a pile of rubble nearby. They are tending to Danyael. After some time, Kitharsis sends Danyael to his ship. Cameron sighs and takes mental stock of how many people they have left.

Down another one. Who knows if we even have enough people left for the final assault. And I haven’t heard anything from the Marine forces since we entered this place. They could all be dead as well.

Cameron ends this train of thought as his next move uncovers a leg. He clears away more rubble until he has revealed all of Kari. She had managed to seal herself in a protective layer of ice and water, and as Cameron clears the last chunks of metal off of her, the barrier shatters. Kari struggles to rise, shaking her head.

“Cameron… what happened? Where is everyone?”

Cameron helps her to her feet. She is wounded and bleeding from multiple places but still able to stand. Cameron allows some of his elemental energy to enter her, replenishing her drained supply. Her wounds begin to slowly close.

“Peterson escaped. All survivors have been accounted for except for Mary”

Kari leans heavily on her staff as Cameron turns his attention to the pile that Gulgrim is working on. As Gulgrim lifts up another rock, he finds that he is being assisted from inside the pile. Within a few moments, Mary emerges. Her wounds are already knitting back together. She brushes herself off and looks at Gulgrim.

“Wow. NOT the first thing you want to see when you wake up.”

Mary shakes her head and pats the ork on his massive shoulder as she walks past him.

“Thanks for the assist, big guy.”

Cameron locks eyes with Mary as she turns towards him. His face is expressionless.

“Cameron! You brought down the barrier! Did you guys get Peterson? Is everyone okay?”

Cameron says nothing. Mary looks past him to the large pool of blood still staining the ground where the barrier had stood. Her face falls.

“...No, you didn’t get him, did you. We failed.”

Cameron seems to turn this over in his mind once or twice before disregarding it.

“Are you alright?”

Mary nods, breaking eye contact with Cameron and looking back towards the other elementals.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Banged up, and low on energy, but okay.”

Mary turns her attention to Garr and Karyl. They are both hurt pretty bad. She is just getting ready to walk back and she if she can help when Cameron’s voice rings out inside her head.

You knew, didn’t you?

Mary knew this question was coming, but she wasn’t expecting him to talk to her in her mind like this. It catches her off guard every time he does it. Mental powers are not normally one of the skills possessed by Elementals. And now Cameron’s voice in her head sounds louder than usual. Clearer. She almost replies out loud before remembering that he can hear her thoughts anyway.

I knew what, Cameron?

She turns to face him and discovers that he has not taken his eyes off of her or changed expressions since she took his eyes off him a few moments before. It’s obvious what he is about to say, but she lets him say it anyway, cause it’s easier than saying it herself.

You knew that she was going to die.

Mary closes her eyes and does not reply. Cameron’s eyes narrow.

“You DID know. You knew, and yet you didn’t tell me.”

Mary can’t help but notice that Cameron has stopped bothering to keep this conversation private. Kari, who had been making her way back to Karyl and Garr to try and heal them, stops and turns around.

“Yes. I knew. When this is all over, before I go to fight Peterson and save you and myself further in the past, I’ll brief the Mary from this time period on what happened. I know this because I was there, and that’s what I did. So yes. I knew. But I didn’t tell myself when, or how.”

Cameron’s eyes widen.

“Why the hell not? Did you not think that was important?”

Mary shakes her head.

“It’s not important.”

Cameron’s mouth falls open.

“What the fuck do you mean, it’s not important? Of course it’s important! You could have stopped this! I could have stopped this!”

Mary opens her eyes and stares back at Cameron.

“No. You couldn’t have. That’s not how this works. You can’t change anything that’s already happened. Time travel only works like that when you jump into alternate timelines. If you go back in your own timeline, then you can’t make any changes. You can try, but you’ll fail.”

Cameron doesn’t say anything, so Mary presses the point.

“I know that I was able to save myself  and you cause you’re both still alive in my time. I know the Eye of Terror gets destroyed because it’s gone in my time. I know that Soul Reaver survives. And I know that Danyael survives. I don’t know about the rest of you. And I don’t know anything about the people who are missing right now. But I also know that Kalana is dead. I knew that before I came back here. And even though I knew I would fail, I tried to save her. I tried my hardest, even though I knew it was hopeless. I tried.”

Mary closes her eyes again.

“But I failed. I knew I would fail. If there was anything that I could have done here to stop it, then she’d still be alive in my time, but she’s not. There was nothing any of us could have done.”

Cameron shouts, clearly frustrated.

“You could have told me!!! I COULD HAVE STOPPED IT.”

Mary regards cameron coldly.

“If you had known, would you still have come here?”

Cameron is stunned into silence. Mary waits for a moment, and then asks again.

“Would you still have come here?”

Cameron lowers his head.

“No. I wouldn’t have.”

Mary turns her back on Cameron.

“That’s why I couldn’t tell you. Because I know you came here. You had to.”

Mary walks away  to see if she can tend to Karyl or Garr. Kari hesitates for a moment as Mary passes, but eventually turns and follows her. Cameron remains behind, staring at the ground, lost in thought.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2016, 07:28:39 PM »
Gulgrim looks down at the twiggy thing he had unearthed quizzically as she casually comments on his appearance.

"Wot? Ya don't like me gob?" he asks, almost sounding offended at the implication that he was ugly. "I'z da biggest an' da greenest. Ain't nuffin' more flash den me." He doesn't press the point, however, as Mary walks past him to speak with Cameron. Done with his task, and seeing that the others are all about finished digging up survivors as well, Gulgrim stretches his massive arms, the muscles and joints audibly popping as he works out stress on his frame as if he had just finished a day's work. Looking around, he saw something that caught his attention. Soul Reaver was nearby Kitharsis, and the Ork noted that he was still missing an arm. Stomping over to the immortal warrior, Gulgrim stopped a few feet away and called out to him.

"Oi, spikey git, wit da black armor. You'z missin some o' yer gubbinz? You'z 'ad a nasty hook wit dat arm in our little scrap. You'z need a new one? I ken fix ya up somefin' proppa right quick."

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2016, 09:57:43 PM »
Soul Reaver works silently alongside Gulgrim, though the massive ork works faster than the one-armed Soul Reaver.  Nonetheless, together they soon have Mary free.  She comments on Gulgrim's appearance and thanks him before joining Cameron.

Then the ork addresses him, offering to replace his missing limb.  Having seen the state of orkish cybernetic 'technology' - not to mention his general distaste and lack of familiarity with high-tech weaponry - he thinks better of it.

"Thank you, but I must decline.  My arm will grow back given enough time."

He scrutinizes the ork.  He knew that these creatures were considered a major threat in the Imperial Plane, and this one seemed particularly powerful and war-like.  Yet it apparently held no grudge, and there was no denying that it had been instrumental in stopping him, and saving his friends.  He owed it a debt.

"You did me and all of us a great service by fighting me earlier.  Your actions helped prevent the escape of a terrible Daemon Lord and bought the time needed for my friends to bring me back to my senses.

I hope, in time, to be able to repay you."

He throws aside the metal bar he had been using and extends a hand.

"We have already met each other in battle, but I know not your name.  I am known as Soul Reaver.  By what name are you called?"
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:01:49 AM by Soul Reaver »

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2016, 01:33:33 AM »
"Da best way you'z ken pay me back is ta keep bringin' me ta da gud fights." Gulgrim says, clasping his massive metallic paw around Soul Reaver's relatively small hand in a rough semblance of a handshake. The cold steel of Gulgrim's right arm bends and folds surprisingly naturally for a product of Orkish construction. His face cracks out in a grin as he breaks the handshake and holds up his hand for Soul Reaver to inspect. The arm is metallic, and certainly has the garish ornamentation and rough appearance of orkish tech, but the craftsmanship of the cybernetic arm is unmistakably masterful. Servos and circuitry moving with perfect ease and functionality as the Ork's cybernetic hand spins a full circle on his wrist.

"Ta tell ya da truth, me own arm'd probably 'ave grown back too, but dis fing is right proppa flash, it is." he chuckles, bringing the arm back to his side, and looks the smaller man square in the eyes with a toothy grin.

"Da name's Gulgrim Bonecruncha. I'z da Avatar o' Gork n' Mork. Don't let nobody tell you'z dere's an Ork meaner n' Greener den me. Not even Ghazghkull ken match da power I've got."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 01:43:39 PM by Shadow Chorus »